Institute of Agricultural Resources and Economics (AREI) was founded on 1 January, 2016, and it is the only research institute in Latvia engaged in breeding of field crops. Its researchers specialise in breeding, arable farming and interdisciplinary studies in the science of economics.
The AREI's main research directions:
- field crop genetics and breeding for integrated and organic farming systems;
- development of sustainable field crop growing technologies for various farming systems;
- evaluation of field crop quality for effective use;
- production of feed;
- economics of sustainable development of bioresource industries;
- efficiency of production processes and company competitiveness;
- sustainable development of territories.